Go to page content

Get evidence to appeal a university's grading decision today for free

  1. Search for your university
  2. Enter your details and send your free request
  3. Use your evidence to strengthen your appeal

If you can't find your university, get in touch and we'll add it for you.

Why should I get evidence for my appeal?

You should get evidence for your appeal to increase the likelihood of the grading decision being overturned.

If you think a university has:

  • made a mistake in your grading
  • not taken exceptional circumstances sufficiently into account (such as illness)

You can consider gathering evidence via a subject access request and appealing their decision.

What's that?

A subject access request, or 'SAR', is a written request to any organisation asking to see all of the information they have about you. They have to reply within 30 days by law.

What information will I get from sending a request?

You'll receive any evidence that they've used to make their grading decision.

How do I send my request for evidence?


  • Use the search bar at the top of this page to find the university
  • Enter your details so that they can identify you
  • Check your email to send your request

If the university isn't on the system, get in touch and we'll add it for you.

How long until they respond to my request?

After the university has received your request, they have to reply in full within 30 days, or give a valid reason for asking for an extension. If this happens, our support team is here to help!

Note: a subject request on its own does not count as an appeal. You should also make a formal appeal before the University's internal deadline, as laid out on their website.

What if they don't reply?

Don't worry, they have to by law. This is because the information they used to make their grading decision counts as your personal data. They have to tell you what they have, as well as how and why they are using it.

This is thanks to your ‘right of access’ under GDPR law, which applies in the UK and EU.

What if they don't reply with evidence in time?

The window to make an appeal will vary according to your university. You’ll find any deadlines on your university’s website. You should check as soon as possible – some universities will only give you seven working days to appeal a result.

If you can't get your evidence in time, send a subject access request as well as your appeal, so that you can re-appeal with more evidence if you don't get the result you want.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, get in touch with our support team - we'd love to hear from you.

Why Rightly?

We’re free because our mission is to make data fairer, for everyone.

We don't use consumer data for commercial purposes, which means we'll never, ever sell your data. It also means that there are no adverts or hidden costs.

Keeping your data safe