Go to page content

Get evidence to challenge your redundancy. It's fast and completely free.

Send a subject access request to your employer to gather evidence, and then appeal via the guidance below.

Why should I get evidence for my appeal?

You should gather evidence for your appeal so that you're in the best position possible to challenge your redundancy.

Remember, your employer isn’t allowed to make you redundant over other employees for any of the following reasons:

  • You’ve asked for your rights at work
  • You took action about health and safety
  • You called your employer out for doing something illegal
  • You’ve been on jury service
  • You’re in a trade union
  • You work part-time

So if you've worked at the company for at least two years and you think that your employer didn't follow a fair redundancy process, you have grounds for challenging it.

To gather evidence for your appeal, you should send a subject access request.

What's that?

A Subject Access Request, or ‘SAR’ is a written request that you send to a company asking to see your personal data.

What will I get from a subject access request?

You should receive:

  • employment records
  • internal communications from HR
  • evaluations
  • other material that might help

Your employer should also provide every document they have on you except for:

  • Documents including information about other people (they can redact names)
  • Documents containing legal advice made to the company.
  • Information that’s 'disproportionate'

Under GDPR law, which is applicable in the UK and EU, your ex-employer must send you all the personal data that they have of yours within 30 days.

How do I send a subject access request (SAR)?

The easiest way to find out where your information is by sending a request through Rightly.


  • Search for any company in the search bar
  • Enter your basic details so that they can confirm your identity
  • Check your email to send your request

It takes less than two minutes.

How long until they respond to my request?

After your company have received your request, they have to reply in full within 30 days, or give a valid reason for asking for an extension. If this happens, our support team is here to help!

I've got my evidence, what steps should I follow?

  • Contact Citizens Advice about your situation. While they aren’t giving face to face advice, they might still be able to help you over the phone.
  • Speak to your employer about the situation. You may be able to resolve things with them.
  • If unresolved, go through their formal appeals process within three months. You’ll need to stick to this deadline to take legal action later.
  • If this was unsuccessful or they don't have a formal appeals process, the next step is to make a claim to an employment tribunal. Citizens Advice will have more information on this.

For all of these steps, having evidence to support your case will make your position much stronger.

What if nothing helps?

If none of the above helps, our support team is here to help.

Why Rightly?

We’re free because our mission is to make data fairer, for everyone.

We don't use consumer data for commercial purposes, which means we'll never, ever sell your data. It also means that there are no adverts or hidden costs.

Related Blog Articles

What are your data rights as an employee?

Whether it's your your educational history, race and ethnicity, or your bank account details, employers can collect, use and store a large variety of personal data on you as an employee.

Keeping your data safe